Survey Findings: ASSE on the OSHA Top 10
And the survey says...
This is a discussion about the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s annual Top 10 List of most frequently cited safety and health violations and its perceived value by fellow American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) peers.
• OSHA’s Top 10 List is recognized as an annual tradition in the safety profession, but even the most experienced safety professionals may not understand exactly where the data comes from. It would be beneficial for the information to clearly state that it is derived from Federal Inspection data only.
• The Top 10 List could be made more valuable by:
- Providing more details and specifics for each citation listed
- Offering solutions and training materials
- Breaking down the list by segments or by industry type
• The Top 10 List is used primarily to enhance training, assess and benchmark compliance and raise awareness at all levels of organizations.
• Safety professionals are supplementing traditional resources such as OSHA and BLS with other resources such as trade associations and publications for industry-specific information and support. This indicates that the trade associations are doing a good job providing industry-specific and relevant safety information to their members.